What are birthmarks?
Birthmarks are a common occurrence. Many people are born with them. When this happens, it usually appears in the first few weeks after birth.
Birthmarks can range from tan, blue and pink, and sometimes red. With vascular birthmarks, they are basically blood vessels bunched together in your skin. Sometimes they are raised, flat, and pink to blueish.
With pigmented birthmarks, you will notice they are flat and sometimes light brown patches that may appear anywhere on the body. No one knows the exact cause of birthmarks. But don’t worry here at Alpharetta laser hair removal and anti-aging we treat birthmarks as well as many other skin conditions.
Give us a call today to schedule your FREE birthmark removal consultation today at 404-253-2663
Why treat birthmarks?
- Birthmarks, especially port wine stains, can cause emotional distress or social and economic problems.
- If a birthmark has proliferated and shrunk, it may form an open ulcer or sore. These sores can become painful or infected. If this happens, then see a dermatologist and keep the sore clean and treated with an antibiotic ointment and a dressing.
- If you have a birthmark near a body orifice, then see a dermatologist and get it monitored regularly.
The most common types of birthmarks:
- Macular stains
- Strawberry hemangiomas
- Cavernous hemangiomas
- Port-wine stains
- Cafe-au-lait spots
- Mongolian spots
Macular stains are faint red marks that are also called “angels kisses.” These may be located on the brow and eyelids. Also, “stork bites” are similar but located on the back of the neck.
Sometimes they may appear on the tip of your nose, upper lip, or other body parts. Macular stains are pink and flat birthmarks that are harmless.
At Alpharetta, laser hair removal and anti-aging birthmarks improvements are possible, especially the ability to reduce how you look and feel. Reach out and give us a call to schedule your FREE birthmark removal consultation today at 404-253-2663
Moles are a common type of pigmented birthmark that can appear to be flat or raised or any size or color. At our clinic birthmark removal / fading is possible, especially the ability to improve how you look and feel.
Cafe-au-lait spots are also a flat but light brown birthmarks that can be located anywhere on the body. They usually don’t require treatment; these spots need to be checked at birth for a genetic disease called neurofibromatosis
These are birthmarks that may appear during the first year after birth and may grow rapidly for a year. Many do not become larger than two or three inches in diameter, but some are, in fact, larger. When the first year is over, most stop growing, turn white and slowly reduce in size.
About half of hemangiomas are flat in shape by age 5. Nine out of ten children’s hemangiomas become flat by age ten. Many may disappear or leave a faint mark. There are two main types of hemangiomas:
1) Strawberry hemangioma may be slightly raised and become bright red due to abnormal blood vessels that are close to the skin surface.
2) Cavernous hemangiomas are blue also because of abnormal blood vessels deeper in the skin. They are also more common in females or premature babies and can present anywhere on the face or body.
Port-wine stains are sometimes called nevus flammeus or capillary hemangioma and are uncommon birthmarks that also appear at birth. They are flat, pink, red, or purple and can be located on the face, neck, legs, and arms. They can grow to any size and grow as the child ages. As time passes, they can become thick and develop ridges and bumps. These do not go away by themselves and last a lifetime.
Luckily port-wine stains are treatable with laser therapy, so feel free to give us a call at 404-253-2663 to schedule your FREE birthmark removal consultation.